2010 年全国中学生英语能力竞赛 （NEPCS）高一年级试题》
I. 选择填空（Multiple-choice）（共 15 小题；每小题 1 分，计 15 分） 从 A、 B、 C、 D 四个选项中， 选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 (Beneath each of the following sentences there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the answer that best completes the sentence.) 31. Alice is fond of playing ________ piano while Harry is interested in listening to ________ music. A. /; the B. /; a C. the; / D. the; a 32. —Look at the black clouds. It ________ soon. —Sure. If only we ________ out. A. is raining; didn't come B. is to rain; won't start C. will rain; haven't started D. is going to rain; hadn't come 33. I have been wanting to get a better understanding of your family affairs ________ I left. A. ever since C. right away that suits our work. A. experimented C. exercised —________ A. Thanks. It's nice of you to see us play. B. We are really lucky. C. No one else could do it. D. Oh, really? 36. Somehow the news ________ that Liu Xiang was in the hotel, and a crowd gathered outside in the hope of seeing him. A. took off C. put on B. went down D. got out B. examined D. tried B. as usual D. as though
34. The designs of the new tools should be ________ carefully, so that we can pick out the one
35. —You've won the football game. Congratulations!
37. No one can be sure ________ in a million years. A. what man will look like
B. what will man look like C. man will look like what D. what look will man like 38. —You've left the light on. —Oh, ________. I'll go and turn it off. A. so do I C. so have I bike? A. this; that; who C. it; who; that B. it; that; it D. this; who; who B. so I have D. so I do
39. Was ________ Bill, ________ played basketball very well, ________ helped you repair your
40. —Shall Tom go and play football? —Not ________ he has finished his homework. A. when B. if C. unless D. once 41. —Well, it's getting late. I must be going. Thank you again for inviting me to the party. —________ A. Oh, it's already so late? B. Thank you for coming. C. Oh, sorry you could't come. D. I really had a happy time. 42. Many countries are increasing their use of natural gas, wind and other forms of ________. A. energy B. source C. force D. material 43. Learning a foreign language well takes a long time, ________? A. doesn't this C. doesn't it B. does this D. does it
44. —Look!The boy is doing some washing. —He is only eight years old, but he is very ________. A. lonely C. responsible B. separate D. independent
45. —Could I borrow your digital camera, please? —Yes, of course you ________. A. might B. will C. can D. should
II. 阅读理解（Reading comprehension）（共 20 小题；选择题 5 小题，每小题 1 分；非选 择题 15 小题，每小题 2 分，计 35 分） A) 选择题：阅读下面的短文，根据文意从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选 出能回答所提问题或完成所给句子的最佳选项。 (Read the following passage which is followed
by five questions or unfinished statements. For each of them there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that fits best according to the passage.) Mexic Past and Present Hundreds of years ago, Native-American tribes lived in Mexico. The Aztecs built beautiful cities. They had a calendar (历法) and a written language. However, the Spanish destroyed the Aztecs in 1521. For the next 300 years, Spain ruled over Mexico. That's why Mexicans speak Spanish. Every September 16 the Mexican people hold a celebration in Mexico City, their country's capital. It is their Independence Day. On that date in 1821 they told Spain they would no longer be ruled. Breaking free from Spain caused a war. When it was over, the Mexicans had their own government. They made their own laws. Today America and Mexico are friends, but it wasn't always that way. President James Polk wanted America to reach from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean. He tried to buy what is now the American southwest from Mexico. Mexico would not sell. So from 1846 to 1848 Mexico and America fought a war to ascertain where their borders would be. When the war ended, Mexico had lost a lot of land. Now the Rio Grande River forms the border between the two nations. America is on the north side of the river. Mexico is on the south side. Mexico has mountains and a hot, dry climate. Crops can grow on only a small part of the land. Still, Mexicans grow much of the coffee, oranges, and sugar used in the US. Mexicans have influenced building styles in southwestern US and added words such as patio and canton to American English. Americans also enjoy eating many Mexican foods like burritos, tacos, tortillas, and tamales. 46. According to the passage, what happened second on a historical timeline? A. Mexicans declared their independence from Spain. B. The Spanish ruled Mexico. C. The Aztecs lived in Mexico. D. Americans fought a war with Mexico. 47. The passage says that President Polk wanted ________. A. the US to expand its borders to the Pacific Ocean B. Mexico to change its Independence Day to July 4th C. Mexico to become one of the states of the Union D. Americans to adopt the Mexican language 48. Another word for the underlined word “ascertain” is ________. A. inspect B. discover C. change D. determine 49. Mexicans have the following influences on America EXCEPT ________. A. building styles C. clothes B. vocabulary D. food
50. Before the Aztecs were conquered, these Native Americans probably ________. A. didn't speak Spanish
B. couldn't read or write any language C. didn't have tools D. didn't understand the concept of time B) 非选择题：阅读下列材料，然后按要求完成所给出的题目。 (Read the following three passages. Each passage is followed by several questions. Respond to the questions according to the passage.) A Billy: I am usually very hungry by 5:30 when school is over, so I go to the nearest food shop to buy some snacks. Then I go home and do my homework. Because the workload is very heavy, I need four or even five hours to finish it. On weekends, I usually go walking in the park. There is a small mountain in the park and I often do some climbing there. That's on Sunday, but on Saturday I have to spend the day at school. Grace: I like walking, too. I prefer going to one of the islands on weekends. During the week, like Billy, I need to deal with my lessons. But on Tuesdays I always go swimming at the local indoor pool after school. After that, I meet some friends in TV games center in Star Club. We girls like playing games as much as the boys. I go to the Internet bar to chat with some net friends on Sunday evening. I find it fantastic. Jenny: I never go to these centers or clubs. Nearly every day I go home on time. I never chat with strangers on the Internet. I never have time for sports. I seldom watch TV at home. The only two things I do at home are studying and sleeping. After a day's work, I always feel tired. One thing I almost forget is that on Sunday evening I go to a restaurant with my parents. In a word, my life is dull and uninteresting. Questions 51—55：Please fill in the blanks with no more than five words in each blank.
London - Police are monitoring social networking sites popular with teenagers such as Bebo, Facebook and MySpace after claims that they are being used to organize mass brawls (对骂). Kent Police believe that teenagers have been using the Internet to arrange “fight club” contests watched by up to 100 spectators in a public park. At least six organized fights have taken place in Brenchley Gardens in Maidstone, Kent, according to one teenage blogger. (59) During one of the fights a 14-year-old boy was arrested for carrying a hunting knife. Kent Police have now ordered specialist officers to monitor sites such as Bebo. Chief Inspector Ian Hall said: “(60) We are aware of attempts to organize fights using technology such as websites and mobile phones. Pupils from some schools in the area may be involved in this type of anti-social behavior and we are working with schools to eradicate (根除) the problem.” According to one blogger the fights usually take place on Saturday nights. The contests are named after the Hollywood film Fight Club starring Edward Norton and Brad Pitt. The central characters fight for the adrenaline rush but the film has an ironic twist (歪曲) apparently lost on some of its audience. This week police in Macclesfield, Cheshire, arrested six teenagers on suspicion of public order offences after an investigation into a series of assaults (袭击). The youths, aged 16 and 17, were released on police bail (保释). The officers discovered that attacks had been discussed and possibly even prearranged using the Bebo websites. In Collumpton, Devon, last weekend police intercepted (阻止) 30 pupils going to a mass brawl carrying metal bars, pieces of wood and chain. Questions 56—58： Answer the following questions briefly. 56. What is the main idea of the passage? 57. What does the underlined word “monitoring” mean? 58. Please find a sentence in the passage which can replace the following one. It is likely that the teenagers had used the Bebo websites to discuss and even plan the attack. Questions 59—60: Translate the underlined sentences in the passage into Chinese. C 1992 GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY (保修) General Motors Corporation will provide for repairs to the vehicle during the warranty in accordance with the following terms, conditions and limitations. WHAT IS COVERED REPAIRS COVERED This warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect ( 缺陷 ) related to materials or workmanship noted during the warranty period. New or remanufactured parts will be used. WARRANTY PERIOD
The WARRANTY PERIOD for all coverages begins on the date the vehicle is first delivered or put in use and ends at the expiration (满期) of the COVERAGES shown below. BATTERY COVERAGE If battery replacement is required during the first year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first, from the date of first delivery, it will be free of charge. Replacement after the first year or 12,000 miles, but before 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, shall be subject to a prorated (按 比例分配的) charge. SUPPLEMENTAL INFLATABLE RESTRAINT COVERAGE (Air Bag) The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint System (Air Bag) is covered for 3 years, regardless of mileage. CORROSION (RUST-THROUGH) COVERAGE Any body sheet metal panel (面板) that rusts-through due to corrosion (腐蚀) is covered for 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. Sheet metal panels may be repaired or replaced. OBTAINING REPAIRS To obtain warranty repairs, take the car to a Buick dealership within the WARRANTY PERIOD and request the needed repairs. A reasonable time must be allowed for the dealership to perform necessary repairs. TOWING TOWING is covered to the nearest Buick dealership, if your vehicle cannot be driven because of a warranted defect. NO CHARGE Warranty repairs, including TOWING, parts and labor, will be made at NO CHARGE. WARRANTY APPLIES This warranty is for GM cars registered in the United States and normally operated in the United States or Canada, and is provided to the original and any subsequent (后来的) owners of the car during the WARRANTY PERIOD. Questions 61—65： Answer the following questions or complete the sentences. 61. General Motors Corporation will provide for repairs to the vehicle during the warranty period, with certain ________. 62. When does the warranty period for all coverages begin? 63. During which time the replacement of battery is charged free? 64. According to the warranty repairs will be made by ________.
65. What kinds of GM cars is this warranty for? III. 完形填空（Cloze） （共 15 小题；每小题 1 分，计 15 分） A) 阅读下面的短文，结合文意用右边所给单词的适当形式填空。 (For questions 66—70, read the passage below. Use the word given in bold at the end of the line to form a word that fits in the space in the same line.) Sharon Sexton She throws Sean Penn over her shoulder and she asked Andrew Ridgeley to be quiet. She's slim, (66) ________ 【attract】and 1.75 meters tall. Sharon Sexton is not what most of us (67) ________ 【image】 a bouncer (保镖) to look like but that's just what she is at the London club, Xenon. Sharon says: “The aim is not to be noticed. I have to move around and mix in with the crowds. I'm here to make sure no trouble starts. If anyone looks (68) ________ 【anger】 I just go and ask them to keep calm. Most men are so surprised at being spoken to by a woman bouncer that they don't argue. I only very (69) ________ 【occasion】have to use force.” Sharon has also worked as a (70) “________”【mind】 for Madonna and for Al Pacino. She spends a lot time practicing Wing Chun, a method of self-defense designed for women. B) 阅读下面的短文，根据首字母的提示在空白处填上适当的单词，使短文意义完整。 (For questions 71—80, read the passage below. Complete it by filling in each blank one word. The first letter of each word is provided.) The Home of the Future When Dan Green comes home from work, he doesn't need a key to open his front door. As he walks up to the front of his house, the (71)d________ opens. The lights turn on inside. His favorite music starts to play. His dinner is (72)r________ in the oven. (73)B________ no one is home. What's happening? This is the home of the future! Right now, Dan Green is the only person (74)w________ has a home like this. He is a scientist. But in about 25 years, many people (75)w________ have homes like Dan's. His home does not look different on the (76)o________. But inside it is very different. Computers control this house of the future. For (77)e________, Dan is watching television (78)w the doorbell rings. The TV is a computer. When
Dan presses a button on the TV remote control, he can see a picture of his (79)v________ on the screen. He can also use the remote control to open or close the door. Dan can watch TV and answer the door at the same (80)t________. IV. 翻译（Translation） （共 5 小题；每小题 2 分，计 10 分） 用括号中所给的提示将下列句子译成英语。 (Translate the following sentences into English, using the hints given in the brackets.) 81. 我们认为听听老师和家长的意见是有必要的。（it） 82. 他病得很厉害，什么都吐出来了。（bring up） 83. 史密斯先生是他在中国认识的唯一的一个外国人。（定语从句)
84. 根据我们的记录，你借的书应该还给图书馆了。(according to) 85. 政府已经答应采取措施来帮助失业者。(take measures) V. 短文改错（Error correction） （共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，计 10 分） 此题要求改正所给短文中的错误。对标有题号的每一行作出判断：如无错误，在该行右边的 横线上画一个勾（√）；如有错误（每行只有一个错误），则按下列情况改正： 该行多一个词：把多余的词用斜线（ ＼ ）划掉，在该行右边横线上写出该词，并也用斜线 （ ＼ ）划掉。 该行缺一个词：在缺词处加一个漏字符号（∧），在该行右边横线上写出该加的词。 该行错一个词：在错的词下划一横线，在该行右边横线上写出改正后的词。 注意：原行没有错的不要改。 Dear Ming, Nice to get your letter. I'm sorry to hear of you have some problem. I have some advice for you. You should be more outgoing and friendly. You should too take part in more after-class activities with your classmates and make friends with them. As for your studies, you should listen you should ask your teachers for help. You say that you you can tell her the problem, it is sure she can help you, Yours, Hong VI. 智力测试（IQ） （共 5 小题；每小题 1 分，计 5 分） 回答下列问题。(Answer the following questions.) 96. What number should replace the question mark? 21, 20, 18, 15, 11, ? 97. Have a look at these strange watches. By cracking the logic which connects them you should be able to work out what time should be shown on the face of the fifth watch. 86. ________ 87. ________ 88. ________ 89. ________ 90. ________ 92. ________ 94. ________
your teachers carefully in class and you have any questions, 91. ________ didn't understand that your English teacher said in class, 93. ________ or you can get a tutor on weekends. I wish everything will be OK. 95. ________
98. Spell out a 7-letter word by using each letter only once.
99. Four girls have a basket with four apples in it. How can you divide the apples so that each girl gets a whole apple and one still remains in the basket? 100. What is that which has a mouth, but never speaks, and a bed, but never sleeps in it? VII. 写作（Writing） （共 2 题；A 题满分 10 分，B 题满分 20 分，计 30 分） A) Suppose you are Sally. You borrowed from Sophie a travel guide-book which you are now returning. Please write a thankful letter of about 80 words, in addition to those given. Use your imagination in creating details. Dear Sophie, Thank you for the guide-book you lent me six months ago. With the help of this book I was able to visit many places. Yours, Sally B) Nowadays many middle school students are pursuing pop stars as their idols. How do you think of it? Please give your opinion in about 120 words.
答案 31~35 CDABA 36~40 DABCC 41~45 BACDC 46~50 BADCA 51. On hours on homework / doing homework 53. walking in the park 54. Tuesday 55. studying and sleeping 56. Youths are using websites to set up mass brawls. 57. keeping an eye on 58. The officers discovered that attacks had been discussed and possibly even prearranged using the Bebo websites. 61. terms, conditions and limitations 62. It begins the date the car is delivered or put in use. 63. During the first year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first, it will be free of charge. 64. any Buick dealer 65. This warranty is for GM cars registered in the United States and normally operated in the United States or Canada. 66. attractive 67. imagine 68. angry 69. occasionally 70. minder
71. door 72. ready 73. But 74. who 75. will
76. outside 77. example 78. when 79. visitor(s) 80. time 81. We think it necessary to listen to our teachers and parents. 82. He was so ill that he brought up everything. 83. Mr. Smith is the only foreigner that he knows in China. 84. According to our records, the books you have borrowed should be returned to the library. 85. The government has promised to take measures to help the unemployed
86. of 或 that 87. problems 91. if 92. said
89. √ 94. certain
96. 6 97. The hours move back 3, 4, 5, and 6 hours. The minutes move forward 4, 8, 16, and 32 minutes. The seconds move back 1, 2, 3, and 4 seconds. The time on the fifth watch should be 21.14.51. 98. example 99. Give three girls an apple each, and give the fourth girl her apple in the basket. 100. A river. Dear Sophie, I'm returning the guide-book which you lent me six months ago. I'm very thankful to you, for it was a great help to me. It was with the help of this book that I was able to visit many places. I am sure that I would have been lost many times if it had not been for this book. Besides, I learned a lot about the history of those places. Thank you again. With best wishes! Yours, Sally At present many middle school students are crazy about their favorite singers or movie stars. I don't think this is a good thing. On the one hand, because of paying too much attention to their idols, they are gradually tired of studying at school. What's worse, these so-called fans are busy pursuing their stars instead of listening carefully to what the teachers say, which worries their parents. As far as I'm concerned, we students are supposed to focus our attention on study rather than on such useless things. In addition, parents should give their children a hand when they can't control themselves. Only in this way, will it be possible for us to grow up healthily and leave no regrets in our life!