衢州二中二 0 一四学年第二学期高三第三次综合练习
英语试卷 命题教师：高三英语备课组 审核教师：胡云
第一部分：英语知识应用（共两节，满分 30 分） 第一节：单项填空（共 20 小题，每小题 0.5 分，满分 10 分） 从 A、B、C 和 D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项，并在答题纸上将该选 项标号涂黑。 1. —Do you m
ind my opening the windows? —__________. You see, I’ve caught a bad cold. A. Not at all B. I’m sorry C. Yes, please D. No, go ahead 2. The big earthquake was _________ terrible blow to Nepal and people from all over the world showed _________ mercy for them. A. the; / very rich. A. by the way A. which B. as a result B. one C. in other words C. what D. as a manner of D. that 4. 2008 is a special year, _________, I suppose, that will be remembered by the Chinese forever. 5. On his first trip to the forest, Zach found that many birds were so bold as to settle close to ________ people were working. A. where B. what C. when D. which 6. — What’s happened to the young strawberry plants we grew last term? —We _________ have taken good care of them, or they would not have died. A. would A. It June. A. will graduate A. did she make A. besides A. surprise A. heavily A. In terms of B. is to graduate B. she made B. beside B. challenge B. steadily B. Regardless of C. graduates C. does she make C. behind C. reaction C. consequently C. Instead of D. will have graduated D. has she made D. beyond D. threat D. mainly D. In favor of 9. Not only __________ a promise, but she also kept it. 10. Seeing the big fish escaping from his hook, poor Jim was __________ himself with anger. 11. H1N1 control and prevention is a ___________ to China as well as the whole world． 12. There were several air accidents __________ caused by engine failures on take-off. 13. ________ what they say about me, I’m going to continue my work. 14. We should treasure everything and everyone __________ we have at present, for no one can tell what the future will hold in store for us. A. what B. which
B. a; the
C. a; /
D. a; a
3. The new tax policy only affects people on yearly incomes over ￥120,000, _________ , the
B. could B. That
C. should C. What
D. might D. This
7. ________ makes me sick that she thinks so highly of herself. 8. She will have learned English for ten years by the time she __________ from high school this
第 1 页 共 11 页
15. John received an invitation to dinner, and with his work _________, he gladly accepted it. A. finished B. finishing C. having finished D. was finished 16. The president’s visit to China is intended to __________ ties between the two countries. A. break B. stress C. strengthen D. advocate 17. According to the latest research, getting enough sleep is __________ to maintaining good health and reducing pressure. A. essential B. promising C. special D. normal 18. After several rounds of competitions, the little girl __________ because of her excellent spoken English and quick response. A. put out B. picked out C. broke out D. stood out 19. It won’t be long ____________ China becomes a power in the world. A. that B. before C. until D. after 20. ----How was the speech given by our alumnus Shu Zhongsheng? -----____________. A. That’s OK. B. Don’t mention it. C. I’d love to. D. It was so much fun. 第二节：完形填空（共 20 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 20 分） 阅读下面短文，掌握其大意，然后从 21—40 各题所给的四个选项中（A、B、C 和 D） 中，选出最佳选项，并在答题纸上将该选项标号涂黑。 His name was Fleming, and he was a poor Scottish farmer. One day, 21 harvesting wheat on the farm, he heard a cry for 22 coming from a nearby bog (沼泽). He 23 his tools and ran to the bog. There, stuck to his waist in black mud, was a(n) 24 boy, screaming and struggling to free himself. Fleming saved the boy from 25 could have been a slow death. The next day, a fancy carriage 26 to the Scotsman’s house. A(n) 27 dressed nobleman stepped out and 28 himself as the father of the boy Fleming had saved. “I want to repay you,” said the nobleman. “You saved my son’s life.” “No, I can’t accept 29 for what I did,” the farmer replied, waving off the 30 . At that moment, the farmer’s own 31 came to the door of the family’s shabby cottage. “Is that your son?” the nobleman asked. “Yes,” the farmer replied proudly. “I’ll make you a 32 . Let me provide him with the level of 33 my own son will enjoy. If the boy is anything like his father, he’ll 34 grow to be a man we both will be proud of,” the nobleman said. Fleming’s son attended the very best schools and in time, 35 St Mary’s Hospital Medical School in London, and went on to become known 36 the world as the noted Sir Alexander Fleming, the 37 of Penicillin (青霉素). Years 38 , the same nobleman’s son who was saved from the bog was 39 with pneumonia. What saved his life this time? Penicillin. The 40 of the nobleman? Lord Randolph Churchill. His son’s name? Sir Winston Churchill. 21. A. if B. once C. since D. while 22. A. approval B. response C. help D. reaction 23. A. brought B. dropped C. collected D. gained 24. A. scared B. annoyed C. astonished D. frustrated 25. A. what B. where C. which D. that 26. A. pulled down B. pulled through C. pulled up D. pulled out
高三英语试卷 第 2 页 共 11 页
27. A. formally B. elegantly C. ridiculously D. illegally 28. A. considered B. marked C. appointed D. introduced 29. A. reward B. salary C. prize D. award 30. A. aid B. offer C. supply D. suggestion 31. A. son B. nephew C. daughter D. teenager 32. A. matter B. deal C. belief D. difference 33. A. conclusion B. education C. information D. entertainment 34. A. in fact B. on time C. no doubt D. in advance 35. A. escaped from B. rose from C. graduated from D. learned from 36. A. off B. apart C. through D. across 37. A. discoverer B. author C. expert D. sponsor 38. A. forward B. downward C. afterward D. upward 39. A. beat B. touched C. spoiled D. stricken 40. A. fame B. name C. destiny D. title 第二部分 阅读理解（第一节 20 小题，第二节 5 小题，满分 50 分） 第一节：阅读下列材料，从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选出最佳选项， 并在答题纸上将该选项标号涂黑。 A As British accent makes the speaker sound like a lady or a gentleman, many people want to learn how to talk like the British. However, compared with American English, British accent is supposed to be harder to acquire. It is true that talking like a native speaker can be hardly achieved, but some typical British English expressions can be easily learnt. If you want to talk like the British, say “Cheers.” rather than “Thanks” in informal conversations. For example, in the UK, there’s usually only one door for getting on and off the bus. When people get off the bus, they would say “Cheers.” with a strong British accent to thank the driver. Apart from that, “Cheers” are casually used by British people in daily informal conversations for small favours, such as opening doors for you, lending you a pen or giving you receipts. It is not as formal as “Thanks” or “Thank you”, but it’s used in a rather high frequency in daily conversations. Although it could be too dramatic and weird to talk like the ladies and gentlemen in Jane Austin’s work, the politeness and gentility are still appreciated in modern British English. If one bumps into or steps on others in a crowded bus or on the street accidentally, they would immediately say “Sorry.” Besides, “Excuse me” is also used a lot when one needs to interrupt others, even including calling the waitress. “Could/Would you please…” is another common expression in British English to express requests or suggestions. Chinese sometimes ask “Did you have your dinner?” as a kind of greeting. In fact, speakers may merely want to show his/her kindness and have no intention to ask whether you had dinner or not. English also has some similar expressions. Chinese students were taught at school that when a customer went to a store, shop assistants would ask “What can I do for you?” However, in the UK, except for some luxury stores, no sales assistants would greet and follow customers around as those in China. Only when customers ask for help or look like lost will sales assistants come up to ask “Are you all right?” It seems that they are providing help, but customers would normally respond “Yeah, thanks.” unless they were really seeking for help. If you want to talk like a British, use British English expressions rather than American ones.
高三英语试卷 第 3 页 共 11 页
In the U.K., the first floor is in fact the second floor in terms of Chinese concept. How do the British call the first floor? They use “ground floor”. In addition, you don’t need to worry about some expressions which look quite similar such as “elevator” and “escalator”, because they use “lift” for “elevator”. And the British use “tube/underground” for “subway”. “Trousers” is a kind of outwear while “pants” refers to underwear. There’re quite a few particular British English expressions and if you want to talk like a British, you’d better be down-to-earth. 41. According to Paragraph.2, in which situation will a British probably use “Cheers”? A. When attending a funeral. B. When watching a football match. C. When attending a wedding. D. When getting out of a taxi. 42. Which of the following is TRUE according to the passage? A. “Thank you” is more formal than “Cheers” in British English. B. In the UK, shop assistants never say “What can I do for you?”. C. It is so weird to say “sorry” when you bump into others in a crowded bus or on the street accidentally in the UK. D. The British call “subway” for “tube/underground”. 43. What can we infer from the last three paragraphs? A. American English is of no use when compared with British English. B. There is no need for people to worry about how to learn British English well. C. British English cannot be acquired in a short time. D. If you want to talk like a British man, use British English expressions rather than American ones. 44. What does the underlined word in the last paragraph mean? A. confident B. open-minded C. passionate D. practical 45. What would be the best title of this passage? A. Differences between British English and American English. B. How to learn British English well. C. Talk like a British. D. Politeness and gentility of British people. B Welcome to The English Garden Shop. These garden tools are chosen for us by our partners at Quality Garden Tools. All items are discounted. Quality Garden Tools aims to deliver from stock in 48 hours. All items are covered by manufacturer’s(制造商）guarantees. Postage and packing is just ? 3. 95 on orders under ? l00 and free thereafter. HAWS 8.8 LITER PROFESSIONAL LONG REACH CAN GREEN A fabulous professional British made watering can in traditional green. The Haws green 8. 8 liter long reach watering can is given a powder coated painted finish for maximum protection. This can is perfectly balanced and the long spout makes watering the back of beds and borders very easy. Order code: HG88WC OUR PRICE: ? 52. 95
第 4 页
共 11 页
ARS 1000L LIGHTWEIGHT HEDGE SHEARS These ARS hedge shears are really difficult to find! Made in Japan, they are some of the very best available, especially for shaping work. These shears are lightweight and perfectly balanced for maximum fort. The blades are very sharp and are made of hard carbon steel. The handles are made of aluminum for both strength and reducing weight. Length: ? 650 mm. Order code: ARSHS-EG PRICE: ? 69.95
BULLDOG STRAPPED DIGGING SPADE & FORK SET A really traditional set of garden tools (just like Granddad used to have!). Both the spade and fork are made in the UK and are strapped for extra strength. The handles are traditionally all made of top quality wood and the spade has treads to save your boots. Order code: BSDTS-EG A GREAT SAVING on the ? 128. 89
SPEAR & JACKSON NEVERBEND STAINLESS STEEL TROWEL This traditional Spear & Jackson stainless steel hand trowel is a real workhorse of the garden. Never bend range; perfect for lots of jobs around the garden. The mirror polished stainless steel head reduces soil adhesion and is rust resistant. The weatherproofed, hardwood handle gives greater durability. Order code: SJSST-EG ENGLISH GARDEN SPECIAL PRICE: ? 13. 15
46. How much will you pay for a pair of shears? A. ? 17. 1. B. ? 52. 95. C. ? 69. 95. D. ? 73. 9. 47. If you buy a set of spade and fork, you should fill in the order code “______”. A. BSDTS-EG B. SJSST-EG C.ARSHS-EG and HG88WC D. HG88W and BSDTS-EG 48. You don’t have to pay for the postage if you buy ______. A. HAWS LONG REACH CAN GREEN B. LIGHTWEIGHT HEDGE SHEARS C. DIGGING SPADE & FORK SET D. SPEAR & JACKSON TROWEL 49. The underlined word “workhorse” is closest in meaning with ______. A. maker B. laborer C. speaker D. digger C Hot springs on Saturn's icy moon Enceladus suggest that the floor of the satellite's subsurface ocean may be home to near-boiling temperatures, researchers say. This finding is the first evidence of active hydrothermal vents (热液喷口) beyond the oceans of Earth. Moreover, conditions deep under the icy surface of Enceladus could be similar to those that gave rise to the first life on Earth, the researchers reported in the new study. This icy, tiny, shiny moon has drawn a great deal of attention due to its eruptions of water
高三英语试卷 第 5 页 共 11 页
fountains. These water fountains suggest that Enceladus could host liquid water beneath its cracked frozen hard surface, making it one of the best potential sites for hosting life in the solar system. Now, the new discovery of signs that hot springs may exist on Enceladus suggests these fountains are powered by hydrothermal activity, much like hydrothermal vents seen on Earth's seafloor. That makes Enceladus the first place outside Earth where researchers have detected ongoing hydrothermal activity, the scientists wrote in the new study, published in the March 12 issue of the journal Nature. The investigators focused on the mysterious "stream particles (粒子)," tiny dust particles that the spacecraft Cassini saw when it first approached Saturn about a decade ago. Analysis of these particles showed that they were only nanometers (billionths of a meter) in size and rich in silica (硅土). Silica, or silicon dioxide, is extremely common on Earth. In lab experiments, the scientists found that the silica grains in the stream particles could have developed only under very specific physical conditions. These conditions include waters that could reach a temperature of at least 90 degrees Celsius; depths of at least 40 kilometers; a pH greater than 8.5, which is more alkaline (碱性的) than baking soda; and a salinity of less than 4 percent. For comparison, the vast majority of seawater on Earth has a salinity of 3.2 to 3.7 percent. These findings suggest that Enceladus has an unexpectedly hot core despite its tiny body, the researchers said. "It is the existence of high-temperature rock-water reactions at the present time that surprises me the most, as we would expect Enceladus to be a frozen world," said study author Hsiang-Wen Sean Hsu, a planetary scientist at the University of Colorado, Boulder. "It means that there is still a big knowledge gap in understanding how solar system bodies develop." Such deep, hot, alkaline conditions are similar to those found on Earth in a deep-sea field of hydrothermal vents, Gabriel Tobie, a planetary scientist at the University of Nantes in France, wrote on these new findings in Nature. "Alkaline hydrothermal vents might have been the birthplace of the first living organisms on the early Earth," Tobie wrote. "Hydrothermal systems could fulfill the three criteria to support life: energy, nutrients and liquid water," Hsu said. However, he said it was not clear if Enceladus was stable enough for billions of years to allow life to develop. "There is no guarantee," Hsu said. "But the chances to find life are surely much better with active hydrothermal systems." 50 What is the passage mainly about? A. Three criteria must be fulfilled to support life. B. Signs of life are found on Saturn's moon Enceladus. C. Signs of hot springs are discovered on Saturn's moon Enceladus. D. New findings suggest that Enceladus has an unexpectedly hot core. 51. The difference between Earth and Enceladus is that _________. A. Enceladus is a moon but Earth is a planet B. no silica or silicon dioxide is found on Enceladus C. there are no active hydrothermal vents on Earth D. Enceladus could host liquid water beneath its surface 52. What can we infer from Paragraph 6? A. The water on Earth is deeper than that on Enceladus.
高三英语试卷 第 6 页 共 11 页
B. The water on Enceladus is more alkaline than baking soda. C. The water on Enceladus has a similar salinity to the seawater on Earth. D. The scientists found the physical conditions for the silica grains with the help of Cassini. 53. What’s Hsiang-Wen Sean Hsu’s attitude towards life development on Enceladus? A. Positive. B. Negative. C. Indifferent. D. Doubtful. 54. Where may this article be taken from? A. A science textbook. B. An astronomy magazine. C. A biology website. D. A chemistry newspaper. D I cheated on a unit test in math class this morning during second period with Mr. Burke. Afterward, I was too sick to eat lunch just thinking about it. I came straight home from school, went to my room, and lay on the floor trying to decide whether it would be better to run away from home now or after supper. Mostly I wished I was dead. It wasn't even an accident that I cheated. Yesterday Mr. Burke announced there'd be a unit test and anyone who didn't pass would have to come to school on Saturday, most particularly me, since I didn't pass the last unit test. I did plan to study just to prove to him that I'm plenty smart—which I am mostly—except in math. Anyway, I got my desk ready to study on. Just when I was ready to work, Nicho came into my room with our new rabbit and it jumped on my desk and knocked the flashcards all over the floor. What a mess! Nicho and I finally took the rabbit outside but then Philip came to my room and also Marty from next door and before long it was dinner. After dinner my father said I could watch a special on television if I'd done all my homework. Of course I said I had. That was the beginning. I felt terrible telling my father a lie about the homework. It was nine o'clock when I got up to my room and that was too late to study for the unit test so I lay in my bed with the light off and decided what I would do the next day when I was in Mr. Burke's math class not knowing the 8- and 9-times tables. So, you see, the cheating was planned after all. The next day, I'd go into class as usual, acting like things were going just great. I'd sit down next to Stanley Plummer—he is so smart in math that it makes you sick—and from time to time, I'd glance over at his paper to copy the answers. Lying on the floor of my room, I begin to think that probably I've been bad all along. It just took this math test to clinch it. I'll probably never tell the truth again. I tell my mother I'm sick when she calls me to come down for dinner. She doesn't believe me, but puts me to bed anyhow. I lie there in the early winter darkness wondering what terrible thing I'll be doing next when my father comes in and sits down on my bed. “What's the matter?” he asks. “I've got a stomachache,” I say. Luckily, it's too dark to see his face. “Is that all?” “Yeah.” “Mommy says you've been in your room since school.” “I was sick there too,” I say. “She thinks something happened today and you're upset.” That's the thing that really drives me crazy about my mother. She knows things sitting inside my head the same as if I was turned inside out. “Well,” my father says. I can tell he doesn't believe me. “My stomach is feeling sort of upset.” I hedge. “Okay,” he says and he pats my leg and gets up. Just as he shuts the door to my room, I call out to him in a voice I don't even recognize as my
高三英语试卷 第 7 页 共 11 页
own. “How come?” he calls back not surprised or anything. So I tell him I cheated on this math test. To tell the truth, I'm pretty much surprised at myself. I didn't plan to tell him anything. He doesn't say anything at first and that just about kills me. I'd be fine if he'd spank me or something. And then he says I'll have to call Mr. Burke. It's not what I had in mind. “Now?” I ask surprised. “Now,” he says. He turns on the light and pulls off my covers. “I'm not going to,” I say. But I do it. I call Mr. Burke, and I tell him exactly what happened, even that I decided to cheat the night before the test. He says I'll come on Saturday to take another test, which is okay with me, and I thank him a whole lot for being understanding and all. “Today I thought I was turning into a criminal,” I tell my father when he turns out my light. Sometimes my father kisses me good night and sometimes he doesn't. I never know. But tonight he does. 55. After the author cheated on the math test, he felt ______. A. unhappy because he had done something wrong C. frightened because he might be caught A. he had planned not to study before the test B. he decided to cheat when he knew there was going to be a test C. he decided to cheat after he had wasted the whole evening D. he had planned to cheat with Plummer before the test 57. Before the cheating, the author thought that ___________. A. he was a bad boy in everything C. he was a boy that everyone loved A. she is very strict with him B. she doesn’t care for him actually C. she always knows what he is thinking D. she always tells him to look after himself 59. After he was informed of what he had done, the father _____________. A. scolded the author severely C. called Mr. Burke immediately A. he had done something unusual B. he realized his mistake and had the courage to admit it C. he was willing to take a make-up test D. he promised to study math harder 第二节：下面文章中有 5 个段落需要添加小标题（第 61-65 题） 。请从以下选项（A、B、C、 D、E 和 F）中选出适合各段落的小标题，其中有一个是多余选项。 A. Take action B. Leave them alone C. Think before you speak D. Be the first to apologize E. Listen and ask questions F. Don't buy things; create memories
高三英语试卷 第 8 页 共 11 页
B. excited that he had succeeded D. pleased that nobody knew it
56. By saying “It wasn't even an accident that I cheated”, the author means that _________.
B. he always did what he was told D. he was a clever child but not perfect
58. The author think his mother often drives him crazy because ____________.
B. didn’t say anything and left D. let the author make a call to Mr. Burke
60. The author’s father kissed the author good night because _____________.
For better or worse, marriage is about compromise. The highs are great, but the lows are sometimes unbearable. When my marriage was hitting a rough patch, I decided to take action -- to do something for my wife. Here are the five tips that helped me. 61. _____________________ The clues are there if you just listen. You may think it's a riddle, but just focus on what they are trying to convey. The answers will be there. If you don't understand, ask questions, try to continue the conversation. Most of the time, we are hearing, but not understanding, what our spouse is talking about. 62. _____________________ Yes, most women love jewelry, but they also love taking pictures and creating memories. Instead of buying her love with a necklace or a ring, go on sites like Groupon and book an activity that both of you can enjoy together. My wife and I have enjoyed salsa lessons, cooking classes and even a trapeze workshop! It didn't matter what the event was; it was the fact that we were doing it together that made it special. The accomplishment of doing something together will form a greater bond than any item you can buy. 63. _____________________ We sometimes forget that everything doesn't revolve around us. Your wife may be upset about something and it has nothing to do with you. Really! The most important thing is for her to clear her mind and relax. Just give her space and she will appreciate the gesture. 64. _____________________ If we just waited that half second, we wouldn't have said it. We get too comfortable and lose sight of the other person's feelings. Just wait. I can't tell you how many times I received the silent treatment because I said something insensitive. I knew it was bad, but I didn't think before I spoke. 65. _____________________ Do the dishes, take out the garbage and hang that picture. Do it before being asked. Don't delay. So many arguments and issues can be resolved by just taking action. If you pursue to be better, you will be. Once I started to take action, my wife saw me in a different light. She said to me, "Something is up. What's the matter? Did you lose all our money?" I laughed and said, "I am tired of just being. I want to make you happy." In the beginning, she just rolled her eyes. But after a couple of weeks, she began to appreciate what I was doing. She began to do more things to show her appreciation. It's a great cycle to get into.
非选择题部分（共 40 分）
第三部分：写作（共两节，满分 40 分） 第一节：短文改错（共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分） 下面短文中有 10 处语言错误。请在有错误的地方增加、删除或修改某个单词。 增加：在缺词处加一个漏字符号（∧） ，并在其下面写上该加的词。 删除：把多余的词用斜线（\）划掉。 修改：在错的词下划一横线，并在该词下面写上修改后的词。 注意：1.每处错误及修改均仅限一词； 2.只允许修改 10 处，多者（从第 11 处起）不计分。
第 9 页
共 11 页
例如： It was very nice to get your invitation to spend∧weekend with you. Luckily the I was completely tree then, so I'll to say “yes”. I'll arrive in Bristol at around 8:00p.m. am in Friday evening. on The other day I decide to leave my bike at home and take the bus instead. It was cold outside. I put on my only warm cap. On a bus, I pulled the cap off, because it was warmly inside. When I got to my stops, I got off the bus. As I crossed the street, I realized something was missed. I turned around, running to the bus and pushed the button to open the door, and it was no use. The bus pulled away from the stop. I kissed his cap goodbye. Just then, the bus stopped a short distance far away at a red light. A man looked out the window. Seeing me, he waved something: it was my cap. 第二节：书面表达 （满分 30 分） 假设你是高中生李越，听说学校正准备把一块体育活动场地改建为停车场。请就此事 向校长写一封 100-120 个单词的信，说明自己的看法及理由。 注意：抬头和签名已给出，不计入总词数。 Dear Mr. Principal, __________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________________ Yours sincerely,
高三英语试卷 第 10 页 共 11 页
第 11 页
共 11 页